Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Forum

Van Immerseel June 19, 1495 Assistance with Document

Anneke

I have attached a jpg of a document that I would apreciate assistance transcribing and perhaps interpreting. The document is from June 19, 1495 and relates to my family. There is a second part to the document that I will send in a moment.

Many thanks

john van Immerseel

Reacties (7)

Archimboldo zei op vr, 09/28/2018 - 11:40

Before a translation can be offered, we need to decipher this text. Een aanzet:

1 Jan van Ymerssele Godevarttssen, woenende opte hoeve onder Eekeren,
2 Henricke van Houte Janssone, vleschouwere, * sjaers erflic sesse gou[de]
3 andriesguldenen, gaef van goude ende zwair van gewichte voere datum soe
4 gemint ende geslagen jairliken ende erfliken renten op een stuck [lants]
5 fondo et pertinenten =houden omtrent vive grenten ende ten vigendi=
gestaen ende gelegen in Ettenhoven onder Cuylenborch tussch[en]
6 Joes erve ex una oostwaet ende Peter Schats erve westwaert comende suyt[waert]
7 aen den Buynderdijck ende noortwaet aen Peter Schats erve et ulterius
8 suus danden alle jaere Johannis =ende t’*exerpente te betalene= te waerne op een oude pl*
9 Heyligengheest van Kekeren ende den gerechten heerenchijs gedragende omtrent XI*
10 ende anders nyet salvo y ipse aut sui quitabunt ad * eenemale elcken *
11 guldenen met XVI der geliker andriesguldenen ende met verschenen

John Immerseel zei op vr, 09/28/2018 - 13:43

Many thanks for doing this so quickly. I can offer assistance with one and two and I will work on the others to offer some assistance.

1.Jan van Ymerssele (Immerseel) Godevaert's son living on a farm in Ekeren (Ekeren is a municipality in the polder above Antwerp)

[Jan van Ymerssele, Godevaert's sonne/soon, woenende opte hoeve onder Ekeren.]

2. Henricke van Houte, vleeshouwer (butcher) must have to pay an annual heretery amount of money equal to six gold [whatever the unit of money was in those days [this is just a guess]. I will work on helping to decipher this over the next couple of days. Perhaps I can be of some help.

I think that this must be some kind of marriage contract between Jan van Dornehoven and Beatrijs van Ymmerssele, a daughter of Jan van Ymmersele and I believe later in the document Heylsoete, her mother but I don't beieve her family name is given.

John

John Immerseel zei op vr, 09/28/2018 - 13:50

Sorry. I am getting two of my documents confused. I have another document that I am working on from 1432 which is the marriage contract I was referring to. The document that you transcribed is a mystery to me but I will try to help where I can. Sorry for the confusion. We will look at the 1432 document once this one is worked out.

John Immerseel zei op zo, 09/30/2018 - 15:59

Dear Archimboldo

This is a very difficult document for me to decipher as my first language is not Dutch and because the words are also difficult to make out. perhaps you can help me further in my understandig of this document. 

The document appears to me to be a legal record about a land transaction involving Jan van Ymerseele and a butcher named Henricke van Hoeve. It appears that Jan van Ymerseele is sell a piece of land to Henricke ( I believe the word in the first sentence after Ekeren is 'vercopen' . For this piece of land Henricke agrees to pay Jan van Ymerseele a yearly rent of six golden Andries guilders and I believe that there is a conditon that this must be legal tender in good conditon and free of flaws (gemunt ed geslagen etc.). It also apears that Henrick must pay this amount for 9 (IX) years. As a conditon of the sale it seems to me that Jan van Ymerseele agrees to pay to the "HeilygenGheest" [I believe this is in reference to the Holy Ghost table or poor table administered by the church in Ekeren - churches could not loan money to people becasue of church laws that prevented churches from doing so -but they could sell what was called a rent - whiich the buyer of the rent was then obligated to pay on an ongoing basis of so many bushels of rye each year - it seems in this case that there was an obligation on the property to pay so much in hard currency. The church would use the food and the money to support those people in the parish that were struggling otherwise. I believe that this is what might be referenced here but I am no expert and could be wrong.] In addition the document describes the location of this parcel of land. It lies in Ettenhoven under Culemburg and is bounded to east by land owned by Joes (perhaps this is a short form for Jo(hann)es and it may be possible that Jan van Ymerseele owns this parcel as well? To the west and to the north the parcel of land is bordered by land owned by Peter Schats and to the south it is borded by the Brynderdijk. This is about as much as I can make out from it - but as I mentioned I could very well be wrong. I would really appreciate your reaction and thoughts. Many thanks.

John

Archimboldo zei op zo, 09/30/2018 - 16:42

Dear John,
I am not a historian and I am not familiar with medieval law so I hesitate to comment on your interpretation which in my eyes seems to be right.
Perhaps someone else is able to verify the contents.
[Watiswaerders: zie ook de transcriptie die ik gemaakt heb onder Van Immerseel June 19, 1495 part 2]

John Immerseel zei op zo, 09/30/2018 - 17:12

Dear Archimboldo

Thank you for your reply. It is greatfully appreciated.

John

Frans van Immerseel zei op do, 01/21/2021 - 17:28

John,

Mijn naam is Franciscus Gustaphus van Immerseel (Frans)

Ik ben zelf ook bezig met een onderzoek naar mijn familie, en al

zoekende kwam ik ook op onderstaande gegevens terecht.

U noemt een vrouw Heylsoete, die gehuwd is met een Jan van Immerseel die ter Eeckeren woont.  Als ik het goed begrijp heeft u daar een document van. Is het mogelijk dat ik daar een kopie van kan krijgen. Dit is denk ik ? de link van de familie van Immerseel naar de van Liere's en van Aerschots.

"I think that this must be some kind of marriage contract between Jan van Dornehoven and Beatrijs van Ymmerssele, a daughter of Jan van Ymmersele and I believe later in the document Heylsoete, her mother but I don't beieve her family name is given.

John"

Met vriendeljke groet,

Frans van Immerseel

Reageer op dit bericht

De inhoud van dit veld is privé en zal niet openbaar worden gemaakt.
Slechts één bestand.
10 MB limiet.
Toegestane types: png gif jpg jpeg.