Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Forum

Marriage certificate 1699

Hello! I am new to this website. Is anyone able to interpret this handwriting? I am trying to determine some information about my 6th great-grandfather and mother.

Thank you.

Reacties (6)

Otto Vervaart zei op wo, 04/08/2020 - 21:29

Dear Christopher, I could decipher almost all words in this registration:

anno 1699 den 4 februar 1669 / Jean Philip Vetan j.m. [jongeman, young man] uyt Switserland / sergean onder de compagnie van de hr. [heer] enutaij ? Gommour / met / Geertruyd Roselet j.d. [jongedochter, young lady] van Berne en aldaer woonen / hij heeft consent van zijn capt [capitein] / sij heeft schriftelyck van haer ouder permissie.

In the margin: getrouwt den 25 mert 1699

Jean Philippe was sergeant in a military company. His fiancé Geertruyd Roselet (or is Reselet?) came from Bern. Jean Philippe's captain gave his consent to the marriage, Geerttruid had a permission from het parents in writing.

In which archive did you find this registration?

Christopher John Carter zei op wo, 04/08/2020 - 21:56

Hello,

Thank you very much! We were unsure about "Vetan". His name in documents written later is Jan Philip Sieta (or Sita).

I retrieved the document from https://westbrabantsarchief.nl

Chris.

Otto Vervaart zei op wo, 04/08/2020 - 22:31

The v ofVetan seems at first indeed curious! The letters i and j are clearly different in this badly legible script, as is the v. However, the paleography manual Lezen in Brabantse bronnen by Annemiek van der Veen and Rien Wols (2nd ed., 's-Hertogenbsch 1989) shows specifically this form for the letter v (page 22). The writing angle is the decisive element in determining it is indeed a v.

Rene van Weeren zei op do, 04/09/2020 - 00:00

I am not sure about the V-solution. I first thought it to be an l, followed by an apostrophe, so l' Etan, but after a second look I would go for the solution Cetan; if you have a look at the second line, you will see the c of compagnie has the same look; the small dot above the c may be a remnant of the line connecting the c with the e.

Rene van Weeren zei op do, 04/09/2020 - 00:01

By the way, the word before the captain's name is captey[n]

Otto Vervaart zei op do, 04/09/2020 - 08:41

Thanks, René, for your convincing explanations! I suppose this official made his own phonetical version of Sieta by writing a c. The forms f the c are not totally consistent, the words capteyn and consent differ from compagnie.

Reageer op dit bericht

De inhoud van dit veld is privé en zal niet openbaar worden gemaakt.
Slechts één bestand.
10 MB limiet.
Toegestane types: png gif jpg jpeg.