Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Forum

Deciphering Late 1400s Spanish Manuscript?

Hello, I'm in need of some help translating two Spanish manuscript pages shown in the picture. Unfortunately I do not have much info on where this manuscript comes from, but the language appears to be in Spanish and it possibly concerns tariffs? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Mike 

Reacties (3)

Otto Vervaart zei op wo, 07/20/2022 - 18:19

Dear Mike, yes, this text is in Spanish. I can quickly decipher passages on the left page such as salude gracia bien (line 4), villas e lugares de Andalucia (line 9-10) and contra las leyes des tesoros Reynos (line 13), I am not quite sure about the three last words... On the right page just below the middle stands cargas e bestias pagaren por ellas (line 16). I think you guessed correctly some tariff or tax is questioned in what appears to be a request . I will look at some online tutorials for Spanish palaeography to determine the date of this manuscript more precisely, I would now say late 15th century, but this needs corroboration and confirmation.

René van Weeren zei op wo, 07/20/2022 - 19:03

Hi Mike,

Also had a look at the text. I agree with Otto that it is in Spanish. However, I think the fastest way to decipher this document would be to present it to someone who is a native Spanish speaker. As the text is quite legible to a modern reader, a native speaker would be able to tell you at leats what the document is about.

Mike zei op do, 07/21/2022 - 23:53

Thank you all for your answers! I appreciate those responses Otto and Rene that helps me 

Reageer op dit bericht

De inhoud van dit veld is privé en zal niet openbaar worden gemaakt.
Slechts één bestand.
10 MB limiet.
Toegestane types: png gif jpg jpeg.