Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Forum

Burial 1737

I know this concerns Matthuijs van Marksveld and the burial of his wife.

Possibly mentions 5 children?

Help appreciated as always.

Anne

Reacties (2)

René van Weeren zei op di, 09/17/2024 - 21:22

4 dito [= 4 december 1737]
Grietje Groen huysvrouw van Mathijs van Markveld
in de Blauwe Comanspoort 5 minderjarige kinderen van den
armen

4 dito [= 4 December 1737]
Grietje Groen, wife of Mathijs van Markveld
living in the Blauwe Comanspoort* leaving behind 5 under-aged children**, from the
poor***

* Translated: The Blue Merchants' gate, nowadays called Coomansstraat, see also https://www.stratenvandelft.nl/straat.php?id=Coomansstraat
** This was mentioned because all children were entitled to their own part of an eventual inheritance from the deceased parent; if the surviving parent wanted to remarry, he/she therefore needed to come to an arrangement with the local Orphans' Chamber (Weeskamer) or lay down a will to guarantee the children would recieve their legitimate part once they would come of age (i.e. 25 years old, or when they married). However, the arrangement could also just be a statement that there were too few possessions to inherit, which may hve been the case here, given the third remark.
*** From the poor means the widower was to poor to bear the costs of the burial and the related taxes, hence the deceased was buried at the cost of the local poor relief institution.   

Anne Lewis zei op wo, 09/18/2024 - 11:48

Bedankt.

All the extra explanation you've provided is really helpful for my research.

Another document from the orphanage in 1754 when Matthuijs van Marksveld died confirms that there wasn't enough money in his estate to pay his 3 remaining children their inheritance.

I much appreciate the time you've taken to post this entry.

best wishes

Anne

Reageer op dit bericht

De inhoud van dit veld is privé en zal niet openbaar worden gemaakt.
Slechts één bestand.
10 MB limiet.
Toegestane types: png gif jpg jpeg.