Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Forum

1664-marriage index

This is the marriage record for Dirck Cornelisz van Huijs and Geertge Jans van Dijssel.

What I can't read is the small writing on the left of the page beside their entry.

Can anyone make out what it says? Dirck was from Rotterdam so maybe that had something to do with it?

Many thanks

Anne

Reacties (6)

Gerry zei op vr, 10/09/2026 - 00:46
The church in Rotterdam gave an 'attestatie' (I do not know the English word, maybe 'a letter of transfer') to Delft so the couple was allowed to marry there. Strangely enough the church in Delft gave an attestatie to Wilsveen (and an other illegible village), where the couple married.
Gerry zei op vr, 10/09/2026 - 00:49

This is the marriage announced in Rotterdam

René van Weeren zei op vr, 10/09/2026 - 00:54

Dear Anne,

This actually is the date of the betrothal (ondertrouw; putting up the banns) of the couple. After this registration, the marriage intention was proclaimed in church on 3 consecutive Sundays; hence, as in this case, there should be at least 15 days (the shortest time frame including 3 consecutive Sundays) between the betrothal (ondertrouw) and the actual marriage. The marriage intention should be proclaimed in the towns of residence of both spouses-to-be. In this case, the proclamations were made both in Rotterdam (town of residence of the prospective groom) and in Stompwijk and Wilsveen (town of resiodence of tjhe prospective bride). The representatives of the parish / town where they did not marry needed to provide the couple with a letter (attestatie) in which was confirmed that the required proclamations were made and did not result in any formal objections against the marriage.

This is also where the text in the margin refers to. The Rotterdam clerk noted (translated) that on 16 March (indeed, exactly 15 days after the betrothal!) those from Rotterdam provided the couple with such a letter of proof, adressed to the church communtiy of Stompwijk and Wilsveen, and that the couple were married in Stompwijk and Wilsveen on that same date (16 March 1664)

Anne zei op vr, 10/09/2026 - 12:57

Dear Gerry and Rene

Thank you both for this. Gerry in English we might call this an affidavit (formal statement that something legal has taken place). I'm interested how you found the marriage register in Rotterdam? I'm very familiar with Delft archives and occasionally some of the people I'm interested in do business in Rotterdam but it's not as easy to navigate their archives website as Delfts -but that could be lack of practice on my behalf :-).

Geertge's father was from Rotterdam, and between 1671-1675 her father Jan Harmensz van Dijssel and his second wife Ariaantge Jans (she is one of my pottery owner ladies I'm researching) lived there. It would be interesting to see if there's any trace of this couple there before they returned to Delft - when she bought another pottery factory.

As for where Geertge and Dirck's place of marriage, that was a big surprise. I'd assumed they'd married in Delft. I see that Stompwijck and Wilsveen is near Voorburg, Liedschendam which I regularly travelled through from Den Haag to Rotterdam on the tram:-)  I wonder why they married there when it appears they had no connection with that place? 

warmest best wishes to you both.

 

Gerry zei op vr, 10/09/2026 - 13:56
The Rotterdam archive: https://stadsarchief.rotterdam.nl. Then click 'Personen'. I think the Rotterdam archive is easier to navigate than Delfts. I found the marriage by searching for *ssel as achternaam (last name) and Geer* as voornaam (first name). Good luck.
Anne zei op vr, 10/09/2026 - 14:00

Ah thanks for that advice Gerry.

I've only clicked on 'Notary' before (!) so no wonder I couldn't find the people :-)

Will get searching....

very best wishes

Anne

Reageer op dit bericht

De inhoud van dit veld is privé en zal niet openbaar worden gemaakt.
Slechts één bestand.
10 MB limiet.
Toegestane types: png gif jpg jpeg.